Sunday, December 12, 2010

Salt Dough Ornaments

My Friend Tina and I decided to get our kiddos together and make some ornaments!! Our choice on this particular day was Salt Dough Ornaments!!





Now these are so simple to mix up, I'm not sure why I just decided this year to do it?!?!

T mixed it up and M looks a little bored

Rolling out the dough



C and H were serious about this!



Cut out and waiting their turn for the oven



Time to Bake



Time to Paint!!
This was the most quiet they had been ALL day!!



Like I mentioned before, this recipe is SUPER EASY!!

I used the one I found over at giftideacenter.com



Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water

Directions:1. Mix salt and flour.
2. Add in half the water, then gradually add the remaining water.
3. Knead until the dough is smooth, this can take up to 10 minutes.
4. For flat dough ornaments roll out the dough on baking paper
Or be creative and make odd shapes and wreaths (takes longer to bake)

Create:
Use cookie cutters, cut-out templates, or just use your hands.
Dust dough with flour and begin to add details to the ornaments with a toothpick, popsicle stick, and knife.   

Don't Forget:
Use a straw to make a hole so you can hang the ornament.

Baking: Time varies based on thickness of ornament
Temperature: 325 degrees
Time: 1 1/2 hours - or until dry

Decorate: Let cool before you begin
Paint with acrylic paints
Glue on beads, buttons, or any fun accessory

Preservation: Making them last a long time
Coat with acrylic varnish when everything is dry


That's It!!
If you make these and post about, leave me a comment so I can check them out on your blog!!



1 comment:

B said...

Hi! New to your blog! Love it btw!
Anyway, these ornaments are so easy and so much fun to make! I have 4 kids and we make these every year. We always have such fun. Thanks for sharing!

B